Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Facebook Fast

I've been nearly a week without Facebook. Voluntarily.

Why?

Because I'm fasting from Facebook until Easter.

Why?

Because, during Lent, my church does a "Focus 40" devotional together. During this time, we are each asked to consider giving one thing up to help us focus spiritually.

As I was sitting in church, listening to the teaching on fasting, immediately Facebook came to mind. I do want to refocus myself. I thought about it, and realized that during the day, I'm often composing short Facebook messages in my head, even if I don't get around to posting them as updates. There's nothing wrong with that, but I realize I think about what I'm going to say on Facebook way more than I pray. Way more.

So, during lent, the goal is each time I find myself thinking about what status update I could put up on Facebook, I'm going to take that opportunity to talk with God and thank him for the many blessings that I have.

When Toa of Boy does something funny (which is often), I take the opportunity to thank God for my wonderful son. And I give Toa a hug, if I can catch him, and tell him how much I appreciate him.

When I'm tempted to post something whiney about housework, instead I pray and thank God for the blessing of my home, for all the things we have, for the opportunity to stay home.

When I'm at Tae Kwon Do and thinking about posting an update about my toe jam, instead I stop and thank God for my health, for my flexibility, for my strength.

So far its made me much more mindful and appreciative of my blessings; it's kept my attitude positive and my spirit sweet; and its helped me to pray more frequently and more regularly than ever.

No comments: