Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Perfect Blueberry Muffin

I have no idea how I had the good fortune to stumble across this recipe. All I have of it is a food splattered print-out in Toa of Boy's recipe binder. The corner of the print out has a url for tastykitchen.com....so I have to credit that site with the recipe.

Here it is. Truly and without exageration,
 The Perfect BlueBerry Muffin.

Muffin Ingredients:
  •  1 1/2 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 egg, room temp, beaten (yeah, I'm not sure how well I follow the room temp part)
  • 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
 Topping Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 chilled unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1  1/2 tsp cinnamon


Instructions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 and line muffin tin with liners.
  2. Mix dry muffin ingredients together in a bowl. (I always wonder why recipes specify 'in a bowl'. Do they think I might get confused and mix up my flour in a hat?)
  3. In a small bowl (not a hat), whisk milk and egg together. Add oil and whisk.
  4. Add milk and egg to flour mixture and blend with a wooden spoon until all the lumps are out. The batter will be thick. Like, playdough, what have I done wrong, type thick. Don't panic.
  5. Gently fold in blueberries. (This is really tough to do in playdough, but you don't want the blueberries to bust open.)
  6. In another bowl, because hats are for heads, combine topping ingredients and cut in the butter.
  7. Spoon batter into liners. Do not fill to top.
  8. Generously sprinkle topping crumble unto muffins. Generously = pack it on, baby.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. 
  10. Let them cool for 10 minutes or so before trying to remove them from the pan.
  11. Be amazed at their perfection.

No comments: