Wednesday, March 09, 2011

White Chicken Chilli....Revised

Revived, Revisited, But Still Misspelled, its----

White Chicken Chilli

(I wanted to try to make this recipe without using canned beans. One because the grocery store was out of the brand I usually by, and two, because I've been trying to use less processed food anyway.)

1 lb bag great northern beans
1or2 boneless skinless chicken breast
6 cups water
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 cups shredded cheese
garlic powder
chilli powder
cumin powder
1. Soak beans overnight (or 8 hours)  in 8 cups cold water.

2. Drain and rinse beans. Place in large pot with 6 cups cold water, chopped onion, and chicken breasts. (If you happen to have some chicken broth on hand, you can substitute some of the water for the chicken broth. But the chicken that is in there will also make some broth.)

3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1-2 hours with pot lid slightly askew to let some steam escape. When beans are tender and chicken is cooked through, remove chicken, shred, and return to pot.

4. Stir in shredded cheese. (I like to use a bag with preshredded blend. Colby jack, pepper jack, cheddar, and asedero cheeses are all good choices.)

5. Stir in spices. I didn't measure my spices, but if I had to guess, I'd say I used between an eighth and a fourth teaspoon cumin, a fourth teaspoon garlic, and between a fourth and a half teaspoon chilli. Toa of Boy was my taster for this process.

Serve soup warm with additional cheese, sour cream, or salsa for garnish if desired.

No comments: