Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Two for Tuesday: Buttermilk Cinnamon Syrup

Yep. You read that right. Syrup.

Because what syrup really needs is real melted butter and buttermilk to round out the whole American eating experience.

This was borne out of desperation. I made my standby of fluffy pancakes and cheesy scrambled eggs for dinner. I knew the bottle of syrup was running low, but also knew that I had another bottle in the downstairs pantry. I was right on the first point, and very wrong on the second point.

Allrecipes came through with this delicious and miraculously easy solution. I don't keep buttermilk on hand, but I put a half tablespoon of vinegar in a half a cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes. The original recipe made two and a half cups of syrup. I halved it for our family dinner. (Thie amounts give are the amounts I used. It filled my little creamer pitcher perfectly.)

Buttermilk Cinnamon Syrup

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 Tbs vinegar (or 1/2 cup buttermilk)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 Tbs corn syrup
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
Directions

  1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add everything else except the baking soda. Stir. (The milk looks curdled and horrible at first. Don't panic. It blends in eventually.)
  2. Bring to a simmer while stirring.
  3. Whisk in baking soda. Mixture will froth like a volcano. Whisk 10 seconds and remove from heat.
  4. Continue stirring (but not whisking.) Syrup will begin to lose its foamy top.
  5. Let sit for a couple minutes, then pour into small pitcher for serving and pouring. It will be very thin at first, but will start to thicken as it cools.
This stuff is creamy, smooth, rich, and heavenly. The cinnamon is a very subtle flavor.

On a completely different subject.....

My family needs to love zucchini. I love zucchini. Zucchini is delicious.

And this scrumptious looking stuffed zucchini dish might be hitting our kitchen table sometime in the near future.

No comments: