Thursday, August 18, 2011

Two for Tuesday: Fluffy Pancakes

Yes, it's Thursday. Why do you even act surprised about these things anymore?

Even though it's Thursday, I'm sharing my favorite pancake recipe of all time.

Fluffy Pancakes

Originally, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. I haven't changed anything from the original except that I double the recipe when I make it for the family. We have breakfast for dinner about once a week. We don't always have pancakes and eggs, but we often do.

Here is the recipe, with the amounts already doubled. (So, don't double them again and come whining to me about it making a crap-ton of pancakes.)

Ingredients

  • 1 - 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tsps baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • cooking spray for pan
Directions

  1. Measure milk and vinegar into a large bowl. Set kitchen timer for five minutes and allow milk to "sour."
  2. Meanwhile, measure dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) into another bowl. Use a wire whisk to blend completely.
  3. Melt your butter if you are still waiting for the 5 minute timer to beep.
  4. When the milk has soured for 5 minutes, whisk two eggs and the melted butter into the milk.
  5. Add your dry ingredients to the milk mixture and whisk until all lumps are gone.
  6. Heat your skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into the skillet to form pancakes. Cook until bubbles begin to form on surface. Flip and cook until browned.
This recipe doesn't lie when it calls the pancakes "fluffy". These pancakes are absolutely the best. Thick, rich, light...and yes, they CAN be all three of those things at once. I've been making these for two years now as my go to pancake recipe.

I've considered stirring in some other ingredients. Blueberries or chocolate chips or bananas or sliced strawberries. I haven't gotten around to try that yet. (Mostly because I'm usually pressed for time and not feeling very creative on pancake night. There's a reason I'm making quick and easy pancakes for dinner. Stir-ins sort of defeat that whole quick and easy goal.)  If someone else does try some stir-ins, let me know how it goes.

And the two part of my Tuesday, Cuppa Cuppa Cake from the Pioneer Woman is going with me to a friend's house on Saturday. After I pick the gross rubber grapes out of the can of fruit cocktail of course.


No comments: