Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Two for Tuesday: Egg and Cheese Bake

Shhhhh.....I have a secret to share.

This was a recipe I originally found on allrecipes as Easy Quiche. But, the Jedi says he hates quiche, and would never have touched dinner if I had said I made a quiche. Voila, the birth of...

Egg and Cheese Bake

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup biscuit baking mix (ie--Bisquick)
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup cooked  and crumbled bacon
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese mix (the kind I used is called "Fiesta Blend" at Walmart)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep dish pie pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, baking mix, butter and parmesan cheese. Batter will be lumpy.
  3. Pour into prepared dish. Dump a ton of cheese on top. Dump all the crumbled bacon pieces you have on top of that. (I think I put about 1/2 a cup of bacon on mine, but I would have added more if I had it.)
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown.
  5. Allow to cool for five to ten minutes before slicing and serving. And of course, don't mention that the original recipe was called a quiche.
 My family loved it. It was easy, filling, and went great with the homemade wheat bread and homemade apple butter that Sweetling had made that afternoon for her cooking project. I fried up some potatoes as a side dish as well. (The secret is to microwave them first, then let them cool before cutting them in chunks and frying them. That is how I finally defeated my whole potato-curse thing.)

The other thing I made last week that was TO DIE FOR was a flourless chocolate cake. You can find the original recipe here on Gluten-Free-Easily. Do not change a thing. Follow her instructions to the letter because really, why would anyone mess with PERFECTION?

No comments: