This is a boring post.
Despite my friend Insight's lovely compliment, there are some subjects that no amount of snarky comments on my part can liven up.
Schedules are one of them.
I have a love/hate relationship with schedules. I love the sense of control and calm order that they bring. I hate the dose of cold hard reality I have to swallow when I'm first forming them.
We start school on August 8. I spent some time last week making my final curriculum choices and patching together a basic weekly schedule.
All the experts I have read on organization and home and time management have said that one should have a basic plan for the week in place. Women who have their act together recommend a day for errands, a day for laundry and housework, a day for desk work, a day for baking, etc. Women who have their act together also recommend a basic menu plan that dovetails with the basic week plan. Since my act more often resembles mayhem at the circus, I'm trying to heed the advice of others.
Here's what I got:
|Sunday||Church & Family||moderate cleaning||big family dinner||pack for co-op|
|Monday||Co-op||library||casserole or crock pot dinner||counseling or family night|
|Tuesday||School||Home Ec Class||new foods and recipes||Tae Kwon Do|
|Wednesday||School||grocery shopping||quick and easy meal||Church|
|Thursdary||School and Laundry||Deep Cleaning||breakfast for dinner||Tae Kwon Do|
|Friday||School||something fun||family favorites||more fun stuff|
|Saturday||Free Day||free||leftovers or dinner w friends||free|
Now, here's the problems with this schedule. Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi.
- Home Ed Class is the day BEFORE my grocery shopping day. This is going to be a problem, cause I'll need specific ingredients for the cooking part of this class. I would prefer to switch those two days, but I'm co-ordinating with another mom, so it's not all about me.
- No, I can't switch library and grocery shopping. We're at co-op from 9 am till 3:30 pm. I can't try to tack a two hour grocery trip on the end of our co-op day. It's just not happening.
- I've got a deep cleaning day on Thursday, which is sparring night at Tae Kwon Do. I'd rather have some easier activities on the afternoon before sparring night, so I'm not exhausted before I even get to class. But, I don't see another day to switch it to, so?
- I'd love to have some time to blog and write during the week. I usually don't feel like blogging or writing on Saturday. Friday afternoon is a possibility, but a slim one.
- I don't have a whole lot of time between the end of school and dinnertime on any day. I'm worried that the activities I do have slated for the afternoon are going to be totally unrealistic and I'm going to be frantic and getting dinner on the table late three nights of the week.