Friday, February 16, 2007

The C word

Now, the nurse said precancerous. The American Cancer Society says "Only some women with pre-cancerous changes of the cervix will develop cancer. This process usually takes several years but sometimes can happen in less than a year. For most women, pre-cancerous cells will remain unchanged and go away without any treatment. But if these precancers are treated, almost all true cancers can be prevented."

They took some biopsies today, which will yield some more specific info...in about a week. But, reading through some of the ACS information, it sound like this is in an early enough stage, even if its passed from precancerous to cancer, that the only treatment that will be needed is the hysterectomy...which is already scheduled.

Not that I'm not concerned, but I think everything has been caught early enough that this isn't devastating, traumatic news. They'll do a hysterectomy, they'll schedule her in for regular follow up appointments to keep on top of everything. It's something thats under control.

4 comments:

The Maven said...

Precancerous is 'good', if you want to call it that. But it's so much better than 'cancerous'. So I'm glad they've caught everything early. That's wonderful news *Hugs*

Impossible Mom said...

Yeah, awesome news. I'm sure she'll pull through after the Hysterectomy. Those are easily recoverable from. My mom had one and she was down for maybe 3 days I think :)

lushgurl said...

Hey Chocolateer, just thought I'd pop in to say HI!
It sounds like your mom is in good hands...I had pre-cancer cells show up in two different pap tests, nothing came of it though.
You are in my thoughts and prayers HUGS

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about her. Just keep me updated on it. Want know how she is doing, please.