Monday, February 16, 2009

Colds and Love Dares do not mix

I had a nasty head cold over the weekend. I did no love dares. Saturday's love dare was "invest in your partner" by "buying a little something that says I'm thinking of you." Saturday was also Valentine's Day. I got a webkinz squirrel from the Jedi. The Jedi got a wife in flannel jammies snuggled up to a tissue box. I don't even know what Sunday's love dare was cause I didn't even open the book. In fact, I slept all of Sunday afternoon while the Jedi got lunch for the kids, sorted and washed most of the laundry in the house, cleaned the kitchen, and loaded and unloaded the dishwasher. When we got home from Sunday evening church, I changed back into flannel jammies and watched Extreme Makeover Home Edition. At bedtime, the bed had a couple loads of clean laundry on it, which the Jedi was in the process of folding. (My approach would have been to scoop the laundry back into a basket where it could sit and wrinkle for a week.) I started helping the Jedi to fold, and he said, "Why don't you just sit on the bed and be cute?" So I kicked off my bunny slippers and climbed up on the bed and read while the Jedi folded laundry.

So far, the Jedi is hands down winning the love dare without even trying. Go Jedi :)

I might have a better chance with today. Today is "Love is not rude." I'm pretty sure I get a B+ grade on this category already.

"When a man is driven by love, he intentionally behaves in a way that's more pleasant for his wife to be around. If she desires to love him, she purposefully avoids things that frustrate him or cause him discomfort.

"The bottom line is that genuine love minds its manners.

"Will you be thoughtful and loving enough to discover and avoid the behavior that causes life to be unpleasant for your mate? Will you dare to be delightful?"

The dare is :
"Ask your spouse to tell you three things that cause him or her to be uncomfortable or irritated with you. You must do so without attacking them or justifying your behavior. This is from their perspective only."

And even without asking, I bet I can name three things the Jedi might list... being late, being interrupted, and either not being given time to ponder a response to a question I've just asked him OR having chaos and clutter in the house.

I'll ask him tonight, though I'm not sure how to ask without giving away why am asking.

No comments: