Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Women's Bible Study

I think I'm supposed to be sharing this Sunday in the women's Bible study. This quarter, the women wanted to do a study on how faith and work intersect. The women are taking turns sharing how their faith impacts their work. (I tried to chicken out and go back to teaching the preschool class where there are stickers and chipmunk puppets and songs, but the leader said pretty pretty please....so here I am sharing on Sunday.)

And I think some of my reluctance to share comes from the fact that I don't see myself as a career woman. Yes, I work. I'm a teacher. I'm a mother. I'm the crazy comp woman at co-op. I serve in children's ministry. Not to mention (though I'm mentioning it) doing the grocery shopping, planning and cooking the meals, keeping the house (almost) clean and the laundry (nearly) done. But I'm not a career woman. I'd be miserable in the corporate world.

So, I could teach about joy. About the value of beauty. About laughter and playfulness.

So, I could teach about motivation. About the chores being a blessing to others. About how the Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

So, I could teach on Proverbs 31. Long was it the most dreaded passage ever. Until I was given a fresh perspective and found it suddently to be encouraging and affirming.

And this is as far as I get. I'll come back to this later. Now I have a boy who needs a bath. A girl who needs school. Toa is sitting beside me holding a bundle of clothes going "Mommy, Mommy." I'm threatening to take away wii for the rest of the day. Sweetling is sitting across the table singing the Chipmunk Christmas song, in a chipmunk voice. I hushed that. So much for joy and beauty.

No comments: