Friday, February 20, 2009

Love is Not Jealous

So my first response was, "Oh, this isn't going to apply to me." But I read the devotion anyway. A general definition of the type of jealousy being discussed...

"...we will shift our focus to the illegitimate kind of jealousy that is in opposition to love--the one that is rooted in selfishness."


Now, this next scenario doesn't apply to me quite. All you who know the Jedi know that he doesn't take off on the weekend to go do his own thing. And all you who know me know that the absolute last thing I ever do on the weekend is clean house. In fact, if you ever catch me spending the weekend cleaning house, please come looking for the real me, because it will be evident that aliens have snatched my body and have taken over my life. Nonetheless, the sentiment is sadly similar.

"He may be enjoying golf on the weekend while she stays home cleaning house. He boasts to her about shooting a great score, and she feels like shooting him."


I have to confess, on those rare, rare occasions that the Jedi sits down to do something relaxing while I'm still busy with dinner, cleaning (yeah, I do clean from time to time), or kids...I am immediately prone to a flash of jealousy. I don't act or speak on it, but its there in my heart. Nevermind the fact that the Jedi nearly always does at least as much, if not more, around the house than I do, I still flash jealous.

Here's the other quote that got me:

"A loving wife will....throw a celebration, not a pity party."


Let me tell you how much I am the queen of the pity party. With snacks even.

So the dare is:

Determine to become your spouse's biggest fan and to reject any thoughts of jealousy. To help you set your heart on your spouse and focus on their achievements, take yesterday's list of negative attributes and discreetly burn it.Then share with your spouse how glad you are about a success he or she recently enjoyed.


I never got around to actually writing out my lists, though I did think about them. And actually, the list was the assignment from two days ago, cause I didn't even crack the book open yesterday. (Co-op, library, dance, tae kwon do). But I have three things in mind to encourage the Jedi about :)

And my scripture verse for today from the Song of Solomon (2:15)...

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.


My jealous thoughts are like little foxes that bite and gnaw at the stalks of my joy and love and appreciation.

No comments: